Top 10 Andrew Falkous Efforts
Let's play some word association today. When you say musical genius, who do you think of? Probably not anyone contemporary. Prince? Dead. Bowie? Dead. Cobain? Dead.
Kanye? Dead Inside.
Seriously though, I had to rack my brain to come up with a musician who I considered a genius who's been prolific since the year 2000. And when I say current, I don't mean still alive and playing great concerts, like Paul McCartney. Obviously a genius, the last original song I recognized from his discography was 1985's Spies Like Us. (And don't give me that Flaming Pie b.s.)
Tic toc, tic toc. Okay I came up with 3. Bruno Mars, Trent Reznor, and Andrew Falkous.
Not familiar with Andrew Falkous? Well you should be. From Cardiff, Wales, in 1999 Andrew Falkous formed the band Mclusky out of the ashes of the band Best (named after 5th Beatle Pete Best.) They released 3 Great Albums, My Pain and Sadness is More Sad and Painful Than Yours, Mclusky Do Dallas, and the Difference Between Me and You Is That I'm Not on Fire, then broke up amid tensions between Falkous and bassist John Chapple. Chapple moved to Australia and formed the band Shooting at Unarmed Men while Falkous and drummer Jack Eaglestone became the cornerstones of the band Future of the Left. They not only didn't miss a beat, but kept on releasing great music. On top of all that, Falkous uses his free time to experiment on a side project called Christian Fitness, which is secretive, except for a vague Bandcamp page. I could keep rambin' on, but let's get on with the music. This Top 10 List, though, is not unlike a double single, first the songs, then the cleverness.
First is the Top 10 Songs by Andrew Falkous:
10. The Lord Hates a Coward (2007) - Future of the Left
With the refrain Violence Solves Everything, well, what else is there to say?
9. whiteliberalonwhiteliberalaction (2000) - Mclusky
8. Manchasm (2007) - Future of the Left
7. kkkitchens, what were you thing? (2004) - Mclusky
6. Collegen Rock (2002) - Mclusky
5. That Man Will Not Hang (2004) - Mclusky
4. Sheena is a t-shirt Salesman (2012) - Future of the Left
3. Arming Eritrea (2009) - Future of the Left
2. Falco Vs. The Young Canoeist (2004) - Mclusky
1. Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues (2002) - Mclusky
Part II: Top 10 Clever Song Titles by Andrew Falkous:
10. Direct Debit with Ray Winstone's Disembodied Head (2016) - Christian Fitness
9. More Skin for the Skin Eaters (2016) - Christian Fitness
8. Back When I was Brilliant (2016) - Future of the Left
7. Without MSG I am Nothing (2004) - Mclusky
6. I am Scared of Everything That Isn't Me (2014) - Christian Fitness
5. Sorry Dad, I Was Late for the Riots (2012) - Future of the Left
4. Your Children Are Waiting for You to Die (2004) - Mclusky
3. Robocop 4: Fuck Off Robocop (2012) - Future of the Left
2. The World Loves Us and is Our Bitch (2002) - Mclusky
1. You Need Satan More Than He Needs You (2009) - Future of the Left